DESSA, the Disability Equality Specialist Support Agency is a national community development organisation working to support the active and full participation of disabled people and their families in their local communities. The DESSA EmpoweringParents/Carers Programme will support Leitrim parents/carers to acquire the knowledge and skills to effectively advocate on behalf of their children -including adult children.This programme will take place over five-weeks from Wednesday 1st February for 2.5 hours per evening (7pm to 9.30pm) @ Leitrim Local Development Company, Drumshambo. There is no course attendance fee. Programme Topics
- What is Disability
- Medical and Social Models of Disabilities
- Inclusion and Barriers to Inclusion
- Communicating about Children’s Needs
- Legal and Policy Provisions
- Progressing Disability Services
- New Directions
- Inclusion in Education and/or Employment
- Key Transitions and Planning for your Child’s Future·
- Advocacy Strategies and Skills
To book a place on the Leitrim Course (places limited to 16 participants) Contact 'Alice'
at: Alice Griffin, DESSA Mobile: 086 6011613 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DATES: Wed. 1st February for 5 consecutive weeks.
Programme will run until 1st March 2017 (Wednesday evenings: 7pm to 9.30pm)
VENUE: Leitrim Local Development Company, Drumshambo.