Please phone or text 083 100 6300
There is a new helpline to deal with Coronavirus (Covid-19) queries for Travellers. This has been organised by the Traveller organisations in the Midlands with the support of the HSE Midlands Traveller Health Unit.
For further information on Traveller supports during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis please visit....
Travellers are one of the most marginalised groups in Irish Society. Life expectancy is 15 years less for Traveller men and 12 years less for Traveller women than those in the general population. Census 2011 showed that 55% of Travellers leave school before the age of 15; only 1% of Travellers attain a third level qualification (All Ireland Health Study, 2010).Leitrim Development Company provides support to the Traveller Community in the following ways:
- Leitrim Development Company Manage the Shannonside Community Childcare Centre in Carrick on Shannon. The Centre provides and promotes a number of supports to the Traveller Community in Leitrim.
- An Early Years’ Service runs five days a week comprising of and ECCE room and a preschool room.These services are run by qualified Early Years Educators.
- An After School Programme is run five days a week. This Programme provides homework support and a wide variety of extra-curricular activities.
- A Traveller Primary Health Care Project employs five part time Traveller Community Healthcare Workers who promote messages of health and well-being to the Traveller Community.
- Development Workers provide support the Men, Women and Young people from the Traveller Community through various programmes. There is also support for individual Travellers and Families in areas such as Accommodation, Education and Health.